Sunday, March 31, 2013

The Magic of Mistakes

Meg Quinn directing Jacob Kahn & Lee Becker, in The Borrowers by Mary Norton @ Theatre of Youth, Buffalo, NY during a rehearsal.

Creativity and play seem synonymous with one another. As parents we encourage our children to be social and play together. Studies ave taught us that we learn by playing, creativity opens up our minds for thought and question. Actors work is creative play. Every rehearsal and every performance is a new experience, a new moment of learning-about yourself, your scene partners, the story being told. Actors have to use their whole bodies when working, but we start a new project by reading the script, first alone-hopefully-and later with the entire cast and the production team.

Hearing the text is the first connection we make with the playwrights story. Now, actors start thinking about who we want this character to be, ususally the director already has a sketch made up, and that sketch can change over the course of a rehearsal and that's okay, it's all about choices and because I'm focusing on live theater, it's about the "magic"!

The magic is the unknown, the surprising mishaps made perfect.
The magic is also the moment a kid in the audience is so engaged that he yells out to the heroes to "run", as the villain, me, is hot on their trail to try and kill them. I can't tell you how cool it is when that happens!

Mistakes happen in live theater, that's part of the magic. What you and your scene partners do on stage during those magical moments teach and test us as creative beings.
Jacob Kahn as Crampfurl/Spiller/Gypsy Boy, Director Meg Quinn, and Lee Becker as The Boy, rehearsing The Borrowers @ Theatre Of Youth, Buffalo, NY

Loraine O'Donnell as Homily and Marc-Jon Filippone as Pod, rehearsing The Borrowers by Mary Norton

Arin Lee Dandes as Arrietty, and Loraine O'Donnell rehearsing The Borrowers by Mary Norton @ Theatre of Youth, Buffalo,NY

Every performance was different. That's part of the beauty of live theater. But when the beauty and magic of theater is the differences of each performance the causes of these "differences" can wreak havoc or laughter backstage. 

Memorizing lines is always a challenge for me. I promise myself that I won't be the actor who has the least amount of lines and takes the longest to be off of book. Sometimes I have to break that promise. Like on our last dress/technical rehearsal, when I walked out for a scene where I say about 6 lines and exit. 

Simple enough, but I neglected to do my homework the night before or even during my lunch at work...I didn't look over my lines. Now mind you this is not my first scene in the play and I wasn't very concerned with this particular scene since it is so short, I knew the lines, or at least my brain knew the lines but for some reason my mouth and tongue couldn't seem to form the sounds to create the words that my brain was holding. I looked into the abyss of an empty house, and called out the word:

"Line!" 

And there was no answer.

Now let me give you some back-story for the non-thespians. Professional actors are not supposed to call for a line during full tech/dress rehearsals, especially not the last night before opening or previews. If you don't know your line you are expected to figure out how to save yourself as if there was an audience. I stuttered a bit, then I stammered and then I went to the next line, exit stage right. 
I was so embarrassed, when we took a break, Marc-Jon Fillipone, a very experienced actor said, 
"Did I hear you call for a line?"
"Yes Marc, you heard me. I was bound to goof something up."
"But that's good, we couldn't have a perfect rehearsal today, that would just be bad luck!"

And there you have it.

Actors are very superstitious, on the last dress rehearsal we expect something to go wrong in order to believe that opening night will be a success! There were other goof up s that night, but mine was the first, and after I got over my ego being knocked down a bit I was pleased that I could contribute to relief of a not so perfect dress rehearsal!

Yay for me!

Suffice it to say that I never forgot that line again. That I would say is the creative part of learning. We may not learn the way we plan but the best laid plans of mice and men... you get the idea. We have to make mistakes to figure out the successes!
Who'd like to share?


3 comments:

  1. Art imitates life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marc-Jon FilipponeApril 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

    I truly have enjoyed reading your blog entries on THE BORROWERS. Yes, there were a LOT of times during the run of the show when improvisation came into play. Lines were dropped [It happens!], cues were missed....but, knowing the play as well as we do after a long and sometimes tedious rehearsal process, we are prepared for such situations.
    I must also say that this show was quite an experience for me. Doing a production at Theatre of Youth is usually a little different from working at other theatres. My previous experiences there were in productions aimed at a younger audiences, two of them musicals based on picture books, PINKALICIOUS and HOW I BECAME A PIRATE. In those shows, an actor has to play a fine line between playing a role as broad as a cartoon character and yet make sure you are not 'talking down' to an audience of children. This is something not taught in any acting class, but must be conveyed by a director experienced in the genre. TOY has Meg Quinn and Michael Walline, both excellent directors. Their ability to direct a piece intended for 3-5 year olds and yet still entertain and keep the attention of their parents is what has made Theatre of Youth one of the premier children's theatres in the country. THE BORROWERS, however, was a bit different. Yes, it was a fantastic tale based on a series of novels for children, but the play was also a serious story of family dynamics and survival in a hostile world. An excellent cast and a superior design and production crew brought this tale to life.
    Thanks, Annette, for bringing your talents to Mrs. Driver and Aunt Lupy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc Jon, working with you was a pleasure for me! Thank you for all of your gifts in this show-so much fun! And thanks for reading the blog.
    Yes I was thinking about the "fine line between playing a role as broad as a cartoon character and yet make sure you are not 'talking down' to an audience of children." in children's theatre. the last show I did with TOY and Meg The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Jen Fitzery and I had this conversation. I don't remember ever really working on or even discussing the differences in children's theater vs. "adult or non children's"theater in college or any other theatre studies group. I think its something you learn by doing it. and you are right, Meg is a GREAT director/teacher she really gets what children want to see and how they react to the stage action!
    Looking forward to working and/or jsut seeing you again!

    ReplyDelete